Sunday, September 12, 2010

Morning Prayer Lessons (15 Trinity - Sunday)

Here's the morning Daily Office Lessons for today - Sunday in the 15th Sunday after Trinity.


The First Lesson
Ecclesiasticus 5:1-10
1 Set thy heart upon thy goods; and say not, I have enough for my life.
2 Follow not thine own mind and thy strength, to walk in the ways of thy heart:
3 And say not, Who shall control me for my works? for the Lord will surely revenge thy pride.
4 Say not, I have sinned, and what harm hath happened unto me? for the Lord is longsuffering, he will in no wise let thee go.
5 Concerning propitiation, be not without fear to add sin unto sin:
6 And say not His mercy is great; he will be pacified for the multitude of my sins: for mercy and wrath come from him, and his indignation resteth upon sinners.
7 Make no tarrying to turn to the Lord, and put not off from day to day: for suddenly shall the wrath of the Lord come forth, and in thy security thou shalt be destroyed, and perish in the day of vengeance.
8 Set not thine heart upon goods unjustly gotten, for they shall not profit thee in the day of calamity.
9 Winnow not with every wind, and go not into every way: for so doth the sinner that hath a double tongue.
10 Be stedfast in thy understanding; and let thy word be the same.

The Second Lesson
Luke 12:13-21
13 And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.
14 And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?
15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God