Monday, May 31, 2010

A visit I'll always remember...

Years ago I went to Washington D.C. for a national gathering of clergy. I flew into Reagan Airport (National, then, of course) and was picked up by my hosts, who promptly took me - against my will, I might add - to the Vietnam War Memorial... the Wall.


It was a cold, wet night, and I remember standing there, looking at some of the buddies I knew whose names were on the wall, and feeling both sad and angry while looking down at the Capitol... Old men make wars, young men die in them.


The next day I went to Arlington National Cemetery, to put some roses on a World War I Veteran's grave - George Schoenberger - who was a nonagenarian parishioner of mine, and whose wife Alice asked me to make the visitation. To say the least, it was an honor to do so.


I will always remember that trip.


Today we recall those who served and those who have died. Jack James is the one who "dogs" me from my home town - Mason City, Iowa. Please share those whom you remember this day, also.

Rest eternal grant unto them, O Lord.
And may Light Perpetual shine upon them. Amen.


+ David Gregory McMannes


And then, of course, there's Nina Simone, in her own way speaking of all this...